Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I *maybe* have a place to live!

First of all, there was an earthquake on the east coast of the US yesterday and I missed it.  But according to the Facebook news feeds of my NC-dwelling friends, nothing much really happened there.

I walked the 2 miles or so from my hostel up to the far end of Leith Walk to view two flats in Leith yesterday.  I quite liked the first one, on Kirk Street.  The bedroom is huge and has loads of furniture: bed, night table, shelf, drawers, wardrobe, and desk.  Possibly more that I'm forgetting.  The window looks out on the street, but it's reasonably big.  The bathroom is huge, and the kitchen has gas burners, a dishwasher, and a washer.  It's actually a split-level flat with six bedrooms, and each level has its own bathroom and kitchen.  The second place, on Balfour Street, was much smaller.  There seemed to be barely enough room for the bed in the bedroom, and the open-plan kitchen/living room was cramped as well.  But the bathroom had wood paneling, which was nice.

After viewing these places, the one in Abbeyhill was still my first choice, with Kirk Street being a close second.  When I called about the place in Abbeyhill yesterday afternoon, much to my chagrin, it had been taken.  And so, I have settled on Kirk Street!  It's by far the best value for the money out of the places I saw, and it's near a lot of shops.  I'll have to take a bus to school once classes start, but I was expecting to have to do that anyway.

Earlier this morning, I got a call from a guy who works at the leasing company who owns the places in Leith.  To make a long story short, I'm going to be moving into Balfour Street on August 29, keeping my stuff there while I'm on the Wild in Scotland tour August 30-September 8, and then moving into Kirk Street on September 8 or 9.  It's not an ideal situation (ideal would be for me to move into Kirk Street no later than the 29th and have done with it), but it's the best it could possibly be, because I was facing the prospect of nixing the WIS trip in order to be able to move into Kirk Street on the 30th or 31st.  The guy I spoke to on the phone is aware of all this.  But, so many things have fallen through in my search for a flat that I'm reluctant to definitively say "I have a place to live" until my name is on the lease.

***

Enough flat talk.  Last night I saw Morven and Julia's show at Kilderken again, and also the act before them.  It was a series of about five guys each doing just a few minutes of stand-up, and the bar manager and I were the only audience members.  As one of the comedians put it, I was just sitting there as a succession of strange men walked on stage and interrogated me.  But a couple of the guys were uproariously funny, and I had a good time.  I went to a bar with Morven and some of her friends afterward, and then called a cab and got to be the one to wake up all my roommates as I toddled in at 3am (hey, I climbed straight into bed without making too much noise).  I actually didn't drink that much - just one beer and a shot of Jura whisky - but I'm still slightly jetlagged, so I felt slightly out of it for most of the evening.

I don't really have a lot planned for today.  I'd kind of like to see the Military Tattoo, so I'm going to look into tickets for that today.  Other than that...it's a nice day.  I'll have a leisurely walk around and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...