Saturday, October 8, 2011

There is so much world and I must see it ALL!!!!

Weather forecast: Rain. Rain rain rain. Rain forever and unceasing.

Oh God, I have to get out of this city. Making plans to visit some of the Inner Hebs next week - Mull and Iona, and possibly Staffa. Hang the cost (which actually isn't that much, outside of the train ticket to and from Oban). There is SO MUCH of Scotland I have yet to see, and the weather is only going to get shittier this side of April, so the time is NOW.

Other trips I want to do:
Tiree. Supposed to be the sunniest place in Scotland. Yes please.
Islay and Jura. The whisky isles. But I have to figure out how the eff to get to Kennacraig first, because there's no train and I'm finding conflicting info on buses. Maybe save this one until spring.
Shetland. This place is closer to the Arctic Circle than it is to London. Thinking of giving a big middle finger to sanity and doing this one in winter. Hee.

Outside of Scotland:
Wales. I absolutely want to make it to Wales, because I actually have ancestors there. But there only seem to be two companies who run backpacker tours there, and I have moral objections to how one does business, and the other one just doesn't look that fun. So it looks like I'll be doing it solo, unless I find an obliging friend. I have a window in late November and early December between the end of lectures and when my term papers start coming due, which I think may be an opportune time for this one.
Norway. I'd like to make this one happen sometime next summer, if I can get time away from dissertation-writing. We'll see.
The southern part of Ireland, around Cork and Kerry. This is the bit I missed out on when I did my big trip through Europe two years ago, so I'd like to go back and do it.
Long shots: Ukraine and Russia.

THERE IS SO MUCH WORLD OUT THERE AND I MUST SEE IT ALLLLL!!!!

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...