Monday, March 26, 2012

A new-found appreciation for spring.

We sprang forward last night here in the UK, and spring decided spring forth accordingly. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous day today. Sunny, if a bit hazy, with temps in the 60s Fahrenheit. After an unproductive stint at the library, I went to the park in front of the Scottish Parliament, watched children and dogs play in the fountains, and read a book. Then I did a leisurely climb up Arthur's Seat, deviating slightly from my usual path to walk along the valley floor, stopping when I reached a rise across from the summit to bask in the late-afternoon sun and read some more. Saw my classmate Tom. May have gotten slightly sunburnt (in Scotland? Gadzooks!). Eventually reached the top, found a nice perch on a rock, and watched the sun go down at 7:30pm. The haze never went completely away, so I could barely see Fife across the water, but Edinburgh Castle looked like it was floating on a cloud.

I have a new-found appreciation for spring.  Where I'm from in the US, spring means a return to uncomfortably warm temperatures, and pollen EVERYWHERE.  I have wretched, wretched hay fever, so I'm unable to tolerate being outside for more than five minutes at a time during the first half of spring in central North Carolina.  But here, it means ever-increasing daylight, warmer temps, and more hospitable outdoor surroundings overall.  And it's wonderful.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...