Thursday, August 18, 2011

2 days to go.

Much has happened over the last couple of days.

On Tuesday night, I played first oboe on Stravinsky's Rite of Spring with the Durham Symphony summer reading orchestra, and I had a fantastic time, despite the fact that we didn't have nearly enough strings and most of the brass kind of sucked. We woodwinds rocked (all 20 of us), and the percussion were also quite good. This is a piece that I have ALWAYS wanted to play, and I didn't want the rehearsal to end.



Yesterday I ran a lot of errands. I dropped another load of stuff off at Goodwill, and then went to get a second opinion on my laptop. The guy at CompUSA came to the same conclusion as the guy at Intrex - that the power jack has come loose from the motherboard - but he seemed to think that a new power cord might be a good cheap/temporary fix. I think I'm just going to take the thing with me as is and see if I can manage, or else get a cheap little Netbook over there or something. Also bought a charger for the international phone, a power adapter (good for the UK, Europe, AND Australia!), and some underwear, because hey, you can never have enough underwear. Picked up a couple of boxes of contact lenses, and finally went to the bank to ask about buying pounds. It takes about three days after ordering for them to arrive, so that was a no-go. I'll just make a big withdrawal at an ATM when I get there, and put as much stuff on my credit card as possible.

On today's agenda: canceling my Verizon contract, and setting up a PIN for my credit card.

Things are finally falling into place, and I'm finally getting excited about leaving IN TWO DAYS!!! Before I was just nervous and stressed about the stuff that hadn't been sorted yet, but now that all the smaller stuff has been taken care of, I can get excited! True, I still don't have housing and banking settled, but I'm letting go of that and trusting that those things will get taken care of once I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...