Saturday, August 13, 2011

7 days to go; or How Spectacularly Unready I Am.

One week until I move to Scotland. I am so not ready.

Things I Haven't Yet Sorted Out, in order of most worrisome to least worrisome:
a) A flat. I really thought I'd have a few viewings lined up by now, but people and properties aren't emailing me back. D:< I have roofs over my head sorted out through September 7, but I'm facing the prospect of Being Homeless Oh Noooezz after that.
b) Money; specifically how I am going to move my money from my American bank account into a British one, which I can't do until I have an address in Scotland anyway. The tentative plan right now is to transfer everything except what I'll need for the first couple or three weeks into my parents' account, and then have them do a wire transfer. I'll pay for everything I can with my credit card in the meantime.
c) My laptop. The battery has quit completely and the power cord only works if I manipulate it just so. Computer Shop Guy says that the power jack has come loose from the motherboard, and the repair will cost a couple hundred dollars and ten to twelve days, neither of which I really have to spare right now. Dad took my laptop apart when I got home and attempted to fix it himself, and it's behaving itself a bit better at the moment. Do I take it to Scotland as is? Do I shell out the money for the repair and have the thing shipped to me later? Do I say "screw it" and just buy a new laptop? Do I eschew modern technology altogether and just be laptop-less this year?
d) A phone. I have an unlocked phone, but the charger is missing, and has very possibly been thrown away. Do I order a new charger? Do I buy a new pay-as-you-go phone when I get there?
e) Oboe reed cane. I need to stockpile a bit before I leave, because I am out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...