Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bored, lonely, and unmotivated.

It's been almost a week since my last update, but there hasn't been much to tell.  I'm lonely without my Aussie flatmates here.  I'm bored with nothing to do on non-lecture days.  I've been very unmotivated to do schoolwork this week - it's Sunday night and I'm just now getting down to it.  I can't even blame my malaise on the weather, because the weather has actually been reasonable for the last few days. 

I walked around Salisbury Crags yesterday afternoon, doing an irregular loop of the Radical Road and Volunteer's Walk.  It was a part of Holyrood Park that I had never explored before, and it was beautiful.  I could almost have been on the Isle of Skye.  And parts of it were out of sight of any signs of the city, so I could almost have been 500 years in the past, walking across the moor between the highest part of the crags and Arthur's Seat.

I went to a ceilidh organized by the Hillwalking Club last night.  It was fun and I got to socialize more than I had all week, but the band wasn't as good as the one at the postgrad ceilidh, and I felt like I was the only person who had come alone, which just kind of exacerbated the loneliness.  I did get to dance about half of the dances, though.

I've updated my CV, and this week's big project is to get it looked over at Career Services, and then start looking for a part-time job.  I'm hoping that having a job will help to alleviate the loneliness and the boredom, and also force me to focus and manage my time more.  I also have go to the Academic Registry this week for my first "census point," to prove to the immigration police that I'm actually attending class and not just flouncing around Scotland.

Daylight savings ends for the UK next week, which will put the sunset time in Edinburgh at about 4:45pm, and getting ever earlier as we get closer to the solstice.  I must start taking my vitamin D more regularly.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...