Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Flatmates

It occurred to me today that I have yet to give a proper rundown of the people I've been living with for nearly the last month.  This is a six-bedroom flat, and is capable of housing ten people when fully occupied.  There were nine when I moved in, including myself:

Andrew: A Scottish guy with whom I shared the "downstairs" part of the flat for exactly two days, as he moved out immediately after I moved in.  He seemed like a very nice, cheerful sort.

Medina: A Kazakh girl who just finished her PhD in finance at the University of Edinburgh.  She also moved out (back to Kazakhstan) about a week after I moved in, so I only ever had about one proper conversation with her.  She also seemed pleasant enough, if a bit preoccupied with her schoolwork and preparations to move back home, but then I think I would be too.

Mandy and Roy: The flatmates I've gotten the closest to by far since moving in.  They're a pair of siblings from Darwin, Australia, and have been living here all summer while on holiday (although Roy has also been working).  I got on like a house on fire with both of them, but unfortunately they've both also moved out - Mandy last Saturday, and Roy today.  As I type this, they're both in London waiting to catch a flight back to Australia via Hong Kong.

Thomas and Nadia: I privately call these two Team Slovakia.  They're a young professional couple (both late 20's, I'd estimate) who I'm on reasonably warm terms with; Thomas more so than Nadia.  They tend to cook and eat their food in the downstairs kitchen, so I see them on a fairly regular basis.  Thomas apparently thought I was English for the first two weeks I lived here, which I'll take as a compliment.  And I guess to be fair, for the same span of time, I didn't realize Nadia actually lived here.

Chris and Sabina: The other young professional couple.  I think they're in their early 30's.  I had high hopes for them, since Sabina has pink hair and many earrings, but they keep pretty well to themselves - I think I've exchanged about 20 words with her since moving in, and fewer with him.  Chris is English and Sabina is some variety of Eastern European - possibly Polish.

So at the moment, it's me, Thomas, Nadia, Chris, and Sabina.  Now that Mandy and Roy have moved out, I think I am going to be very lonely.  Here's hoping some more cool people move in soon...

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...