Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Packing. Or, the million-dollar question.

The million-dollar question is, how lightly can I pack?  There are companies which transfer one's baggage to one's next destination along both the Great Glen Way and the West Highland Way, but the idea of my things getting to my destination before I do, without any direct intervention by me, feels a bit strange.  Plus, I find the idea of making a journey under my own power, with all my worldly goods on my person, to be very charming and romantic.  And so, I'm intending to make this trip with only my small knapsack, which usually serves as my day-pack on trips of this length.

What I'm taking:
2 pairs of quick-drying nylon trousers
1 pair of tracksuit bottoms
1 pair of jeans
2 camisoles
1 T-shirt
7 pairs of thick socks
7 pairs of underwear
1 sports bra
1 light jacket
1 heavy-duty raincoat
1 money-belt (containing cash, a debit card, and my ID)
1 digital camera
1 cell phone
1 toiletry bag (containing shampoo, deodorant, spare contact lenses, a washcloth, and various medicines)
1 towel
2 plastic grocery bags (for dirty laundry and other sundry uses)
1 journal

So far everything fits except the toiletry bag, the jacket, and the raincoat.  I've decided to simply wear the jacket and raincoat at all times, for warmth as much as anything else.  I figure I can wrap the jacket around my waist if I get too warm.  I do need to figure out where I'm going to put the toiletry bag, though.  I haven't decided whether to take my iPod or not.  It only holds a charge for an hour or so these days, so taking it (and its charger, and an adapter) will probably be more hassle than it's worth.  The backpack has holsters for water bottles, so that takes care of my water.  I don't plan to carry a great deal of food with me while I'm walking, except maybe on the last day.  Just enough for lunch, plus something high energy like nuts and candy.

So.  Here goes nothing!

UPDATE: My flatmate Sam has offered to let me borrow one of his rock-climbing backpacks.  I think this will be a better arrangement.  There's room for everything, plus a thick sweater, another pair of tracksuit bottoms, and another shirt, with room left over for trail food.  I'll need to fiddle with the straps and the weight distribution of all my stuff so that there's not too much pressure on my lower back, but I think this will do admirably.  Huzzah!

Cheers, y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...