Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Study break.

I'm about three-fourths of the way done with this paper due tomorrow, and my focus is wavering.  So I may as well do a quick update!  Hey, one of my classmates wrote a 400-word blog entry about bacon today instead of the remaining 700 words for her paper, so I'm not alone.

This morning/early afternoon was so frustrating I could have wept.  I'm going on a hillwalking trip to Blair Atholl on Saturday.  It's probably going to be on par with Ben Vane for difficulty, but I am absolutely not backing out of this one because I'm not liking Scotland very much at the moment and I need to do something to remind me of why I wanted to come here.  But I'm going to need much more hardcore boots than the ones I have for this trip, because the Perthshire hills are under about a foot of snow and ice at the moment and everyone is going to have to wear crampons.  So this morning's objective was to go to the Tiso (roughly equivalent to REI in the States) on Commercial Street in Leith to see if I could rent a pair for the weekend.

I missed Commercial Street on my first pass because it's called Bernard Street at the point where it intersects with the road I was walking on to get there, and I had walked almost all the way to the Ocean Terminal before I realized my mistake.  So I had to walk back, and thank goodness I found it without any more difficulty.  But THEN, they needed to know what kind of crampons we were going to be using so they could give me the right kind of boots.  I did not have this information, and no way to obtain this information without email, and had to leave the store empty-handed.  Took the #36 bus to Holyrood, which took a good half hour, and emailed the walk organizer from the library.  He has finally emailed me back (10 point crampons), but I've spent too much time on this nonsense today and I have a paper to finish, so the return trip to Tiso will have to wait until tomorrow.

In other news, I've been setting an alarm for the last few days, but I've mostly been turning it off and then going back to sleep.  I even slept with the curtains open last night so the morning light could come in, and it helped a bit, but still.  I don't know why getting up in the morning is so hard, but it is.

Right.  Back to paper-writing.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...