Sunday, September 11, 2011

Time for an update!

I've been in a pretty unhappy place for the last few days, owing to the loss of my camera and the clusterfuck with my matriculation stuff.  But I spent all of yesterday morning and into the early afternoon running around Edinburgh doing everything in my power to fix said clusterfuck, and I *think* it's going to be okay.  My paperwork is filled out and emailed back to the Registry, and I'm going to go to the Registry in person tomorrow with hard copies of the stuff, just to make sure everything is ship-shape.  I tried going yesterday, thinking that with Freshers Week nearly upon us they *might* be open, but no.  I did encounter a human being near one of the main quads off of South Bridge, who was very nice and helpful and told me to come back on Monday, so that's what I'm doing.  The wording on the bit of paper he gave me, and on the Freshers Week website itself, leads me to believe that all of this registration stuff is eminently fixable in the coming week.  Also, I had a good talk with one of my flatmates (who just happens to be a psychologist - SCORE!) last night about all this anxiety I'm feeling about school starting, and felt much, much better afterward.

Today, I plotted out which Freshers week activities I'm going to go to.  Tomorrow's main priority is getting this registration/matriculation stuff sorted out, and then I'm going to a seminar thing for international students on how to get a part-time job.  A decision I really need to make in the next day or two is whether to audition for the university orchestra.  I haven't played the oboe since I left the States, and I need to very quickly get back in playing shape if I'm going to do this.  Thing is, I don't think I'll be able to play for the top-tier orchestra, because it rehearses during my Monday classes.  But I think I'm going to do it, because hey, I dragged my instrument and reed-making tools and sheet music all the way across the Atlantic, so I might as well make use of them.  And even if I'm only playing for the sinfonia, it'll be an avenue to get my name out as a freelancer.

One final word: This morning, I discovered that the angle of my bed to my window is perfect for watching the sun come up.  And come up it did this morning, brilliantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...