Saturday, September 17, 2011

Class Schedule!

First Semester:
Research Methods I
First five Mondays, 6:00-7:50pm

Professional Skills
Last five Mondays, 6:00-7:50pm

Planning and Instruction for Performance
Tuesdays, 2:00-3:50pm

Stress, Coping, and Control
Tuesdays, 6:00-7:50pm

Second Semester
Professional Skills (continuing on from Semester 1)
First five Mondays, 6:00-7:50pm

Research Methods II
Last five Mondays, 6:00-7:50pm

Dynamics of Performance Teams
Tuesdays, 2:00-3:50pm

Peak Performance
Tuesdays, 6:00-7:50pm

* Dissertation due: August 17, 2012*

I'm waiting for the catch, as 6 hours per week seems like awfully little time to be in class.  I'm thinking that for every hour of class time, there'll be 12 hours of outside work or something dreadful like that.  Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to Monday!

"A professor is the only person on earth with the power to put a veritable frame around life - not the whole thing, God no - simply a fragment of it, a small wedge. He organizes the unorganizable. Nimbly partitions it into modern and postmodern, renaissance, baroque, primitivism, imperialism and so on. Splice that up with Research Papers, Vacation, Midterms. All that order - simply divine. The symmetry of a semester course. Consider the words themselves: the seminar, the tutorial, the advanced whatever workshop accessible only to seniors, to graduate fellows, to doctoral candidates, the practicum - what a marvelous word: practicum! You think me crazy. Consider a Kandinsky. Utterly muddled, put a frame around it, voila - looks rather quaint above the fireplace. And so it is with the curriculum. That celestial, sweet set of instructions, culminating in the scary wonder of the Final Exam. And what is the Final Exam? A test of one's deepest understanding of giant concepts. No wonder so many adults long to return to university, to all those deadlines - ahhh, that structure! Scaffolding to which we may cling! Even if it is arbitrary, without it, we're lost, wholly incapable of separating the Romantic from the Victorian in our sad, bewildering lives..."
- Marisha Pessl, Special Topics in Calamity Physics

1 comment:

  1. In my experience, a credit hour corresponds about 1:3 with the amount of work you do - one hour in class, 3 hours outside work. However, on a weekly basis it's really 1:1 - for every hour in class, you do an hour of outside work. Papers take up all the remaining time (which is a whole freaking lot of time).

    However, I usually use my papers to do my research - if I'm supposed to do a prospectus for class, I do it on my research topic; if I'm supposed to do a lit review for class, I do it on my research topic... so those "class" hours actually end up doubling as "research" hours (I'm supposed to do 20hrs/week research). Which makes it manageable, because if you consider:

    Taking 12 credit hours x 4 hours/credit hour = 48
    + 20 hours of research/week
    + 8 hours of clinic/week
    = 76 hours,
    well, I'm not in medical school here. (Although I am overloading and doing a master's within my PhD so maybe it's the same thing.)

    However, on a daily basis it works out to:
    12 hours classwork/week + 20 hours research/week + 8 hours clinic/week = 40 hours, which is much more reasonable. Sometime I'm going to get real paper-crunch-time when more than one assignment is due at the same time, and then you'll see me stress out.

    -- Tonia

    P.S. This thing won't let me preview and deleted my comment twice because I tried to. Boo.

    ReplyDelete

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...