Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Flights and hostels ahoy!

THE FLIGHT IS BOOKED.

I am leaving August 20, arriving in Edinburgh August 21.  I'm flying Continental Airlines, with a lengthy stopover in Newark.  This is the time of year for afternoon thunderstorms, so I'm taking no chances with weather delays.

I have also booked accommodation for the nine nights I will be in Edinburgh before my trip to the highlands and islands leaves.  The first 5 nights I'll be at Art Roch, which is where I stayed when I visited in January, and which is my favorite hostel in Edinburgh.  It's in the Grassmarket, just south of the castle, and it's got lots of character - lots of stone walls and candles, and the rooms are quite homey and spacious for a hostel.  The last 4 nights I'm booked at Caledonian Backpackers, which is at the western end of Princes Street.  I've never been there before, so I don't know what it'll be like.  Really, I'm hoping that I'll be able to land a flat in the first five days that I'm in Edinburgh, and I'll be able to just cancel that booking.

Let the official countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...