Friday, May 4, 2012

September 3, 2011: Back to the mainland, briefly.

This morning, we said goodbye to the blackhouse in Gearrannan and drove to Stornoway to catch our ferry to Ullapool, on the mainland.  We had a few hours to spend in Stornoway before the ferry left.  Others in the group went to explore the town, or to see the Lewis Chessmen, which were on display somewhere in town.  My cold had predictably worsened overnight and I was feeling rather wretched, so I curled up on a couch in the ferry terminal and endeavoured to nap.  I spent the 2.5 hour ferry ride doing the same.

At length we landed in Ullapool and began the long drive to Laggan, on Loch Lochy in the Great Glen.  I don't really remember much of this drive, except for the fact that I desperately needed the toilet by the time we got to Invermoriston.  You can't fully appreciate how remote northwestern Scotland is until nature calls, and there isn't a bathroom within fifty miles. 

This was our final night together before those of us continuing on to Orkney (me, Andrea, Laura, Derwyn, and Kathy) would join another group, while everyone else departed south for Edinburgh.  I have been wracking my brain trying to remember what we ate for dinner.  I have a feeling it was hamburgers. 

Coming attractions: Loch Ness, Orkney, and far northern Scotland!

Cheers, y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...