Sunday, May 13, 2012

Participant recruitment and recent reads.

Participant recruitment for my thesis project is officially underway!  I spent most of yesterday working my way through the Beethoven symphonies while messaging every single person on my Facebook friend list who plays music and is likely to be in North Carolina between May 23 and June 5.  I still have to figure out how to use the digital voice recorder that the university is lending me, and also rehearse my presentation for Tuesday.  Tomorrow and Tuesday, all of us who are writing theses this summer are presenting our background and methods to each other, as well as to anyone in the department who cares to drop by.  Basically, I think this qualifies as my defense.  Eeeek!

***

I have been plowing my way through Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.  In less than four weeks, I have finished both Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager.  I bought the next book in the series, Drums of Autumn, yesterday (along with Garth Nix's latest book, A Confusion of Princes), but I'm going to force myself to hold off on starting it, at least until all my data collection is done.  The wise thing would probably be to wait until my entire thesis is done, because these books have a horrible tendency to distract me from my work...we'll see.

I bought Bill Bryson's book about Europe, Neither Here Nor There, at a bookshop in Ross-on-Wye a couple of weeks ago, and just finished it.  It was written in the early 1990's and is now terribly dated, but it still gave me a few good guffaws.

I just started reading Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick last night, and am also slowly working my way through A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin and Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...