Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Amendment 1.

When I heard that Maurice Sendak died, I knew it was a bad omen.

I walked to the Leith Docks shortly before sunset to watch the light fade. It seemed important somehow. Like I needed to personally bear witness to the sun setting on any chance some people very dear to me will have to love freely.

I have been up all night monitoring the election results. The margin was 59%-41% in favor when I started. It only widened. I spent time composing a suitably vitriolic Facebook status for when it became official. Something to the effect of, "I hope I can get my British visa extended so I don't have to go back to a place that legislates hatred." But then as the sky started to lighten again, a certain sense of calm came over me, and I let the vitriol go, just a little bit.

I am ashamed of my home state. So long as this amendment stands, I do not intend to call it home again. But now, as I'm watching the sun come up, I am certain that the amendment won't stand. And all shall be well.

All manner of things shall be well.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...