Saturday, February 11, 2012

Belated Burns Night and The Heretics

I have had an thoroughly interesting couple of nights.

On Thursday night, two of my older classmates, Dave and Al, hosted a belated Burns Night supper at Dave's place.  Only Jeffrey, Tae, and I went, but it was still a good time.  We had cock-a-leekie soup, haggis (piped in and then addressed by Al) neeps and tatties, Scottish music and dancing, and general craic.

^ Al giving Tae a bagpipe tutorial.

^ Al and Dave, hanging out.

^ Jeffrey and Tae, hanging out.

Last night, I took the train to Glasgow to see Tony's band play.  This was an adventure on a few different counts.  When I got to Glasgow, Buchanan Street was sealed off because of a bomb scare.  It took me the better part of 45 minutes to circumvent it and get to the venue on Sauchiehall Street, and I was on the verge of giving up at one point.  But I got there eventually, and in time to see the second half of the set.


I had planned to go straight back to Edinburgh after the gig, but Tony and his girlfriend Hannah invited me to hang out with them and their friends, as it was also Hannah's birthday.  First we went to a pub, and hung out so long that I lost track of time and missed the last train.  (Okay, mostly it was because I was too busy chatting up Tony and Hannah's friend Alan who is OMG SO CUTE you guys.)  When the pub closed, we went to a nightclub.  I was not dressed for the nightclub, nor did I have any money, but I said "To hell with it" and had a fine time.  When the club closed, Hannah, Alan, and I all went to Tony's, watched American Dad, and crashed at about 4:00 in the morning.  I slept in a sleeping bag in the spare bedroom, because there were no clean linens.  I crept out at around 9:30, walked to Hyndland Station, and made my way back to Edinburgh.  In the same clothes as yesterday and with smudged eye makeup.  I'm sure I was a sight for sore eyes.  All in all, a successful evening, especially given how unplanned it was (for me, anyway).

I napped most of the afternoon away and am now trying to be at least somewhat productive.  I really must study tomorrow.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...