Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ballet, cathedrals, and Irn-Bru.

*See a ballet* - Accomplished 13 January, 2012.


I saw the Scottish Ballet perform Sleeping Beauty at the Festival Theatre last night with my flatmate Madina.  I hadn't seen a ballet since the Carolina Ballet's annual Christmas performance of The Nutcracker at UNC approximately three years ago, so this was a novel experience!  The dancing and music were top-notch of course, but the highlight for me was the costumes.  This production has the initial action taking place in the 1830s and 1840s, with the "100 years later" bit in 1946, and the way the costume designers incorporated fashions from those times was genius.

Yesterday was a brilliantly beautiful day, and I spent it walking around Edinburgh's Old Town, playing tourist.  Another "first" I accomplished was going inside St. Giles Cathedral for the first time:






And I caught an absolutely brilliant sunset from North Bridge:


***

I have been very productive today.  I cleaned the downstairs kitchen, paying special attention to the stove-top, which was filthy.  Tomas and Nadia moved out about a week ago, taking their slovenly cooking habits with them, so the kitchen ought to stay clean now.  I also did a big grocery shopping trip, and my laundry is currently in the washer.  Another first I accomplished today: I am currently drinking my first Irn-Bru.  Irn-Bru is a hugely popular soft drink here in Scotland.  Upon my first taste today, I think it tastes like carbonated cough medicine, but to each their own!

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...