Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back to school!

Lectures started back up this week.  On Monday I did a presentation, which I pretty much threw together at the last minute in an astonishing display of procrastination the likes of which I have not experienced since undergrad, and which will be the final graded item for my professional skills class.  Oddly enough, we still have four more weeks of pro skills lectures which are probably going to be a waste of time.  On the 30th for example, I'm considering skipping out in favor of Bruce Hornsby in Glasgow. 

On Tuesday, I had the first lectures for my two main classes this term, Team Dynamics and Peak Performance.  I wasn't sure what to expect for team dynamics, as the lecturer for that class, Alan, has established himself as a bit of an asshole.  But I (and everyone else) was pleasantly surprised when Alan showed up in a good mood and we spent the first half of class playing a bargaining game called "Win As Much As You Can," in which we all proved ourselves to be untrustworthy bastards.  This class is going to be cool.  I frankly had low expectations for peak performance, as it's being taught by Guido, the same guy (very ineffectively) teaching us pro skills, but I think it's going to be cool too, and definitely relevant to my interests as a musician.  Peak performance is his area of expertise, and it shows.  I'm especially looking forward to learning about flow, which is a new concept to me.

This morning the five of us who are going to be TA-ing the first year sport psych class had a meeting about it with the prof (who just happens to be Guido, again) to learn what we're going to be doing and to divvy up the tutorials.  We decided to teach in pairs, at least for the first several weeks.  I'll be teaching every Friday morning from 10-11, and every other Thursday afternoon from 4-5.  The first tutorial is tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!

I'm signed up to go hillwalking in Glen Shee on Saturday.  I SWEAR I WILL ACTUALLY GO THIS TIME, barring Tiso giving away or misplacing the mountaineering boots I've reserved for Saturday, which is a possibility because the guy who reserved them for me didn't seem to be completely on top of things.  I've been promised that the focus will be on learning to use crampons and ice axes, rather than getting up hills, so this should be relatively low-stress.  *Famous last words*

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...