Tuesday, June 19, 2012

New flat acquired!

As of yesterday, I am officially moving out of this rodent-infested flat!

I'm moving to Elm Row, which is a little area near the top of Leith Walk, nestled between it and Easter Road.  I'm going to be closer to town and to school - in fact, pretty much within walking distance of everything.  The flat itself has hardwood floors, big windows, and is full of natural light.  The area is quiet, and many of the windows look out on the back garden.  The room I'm moving into is probably about the same size as my room now, maybe smaller.  But it's got all the furniture I need/want: bed, desk, wardrobe, drawers, bookshelf, nightstand.  There is a proper dining area, and a nice airy common room.  AND THERE IS A DOG.  The dog and I have already made friends.  His name is Miller.  And best of all, a dog means I don't have to worry about vermin.

I am actually a bit nervous, because I haven't actually signed anything yet.  And it took these people ages to get back to me.  I had actually resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to get this flat, and was looking at a place in Marchmont instead, so it was a surprise to get this phone call yesterday.  And I actually sat down and had a cup of tea with the people in the flat in Marchmont, and knew I like them.  I haven't met anyone in this flat besides the girl who's moving out, so I'm taking a little bit of a leap of faith.  But there are only going to be four people living there, including me, so that's an improvement.

I called the leasing agent today and gave notice, so I'm officially committed.  I'm moving some of my more cumbersome stuff over there on Thursday, and I'm sure I'll feel better once I've done that.  I figure once my stuff is there, they're committed too.  All that's left is to call the folks in Marchmont and let them know that I've accepted an offer at another flat.

Still, yay!  No more mice!  No more loud, obnoxious, pot-smoking flatmates!  No more noise from the approximately seven pubs within a two-block radius of my flat!  YAY!

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...