Thursday, March 15, 2012

Trekking.

The hillwalking club's next trip is to Glen Shiel.  I would kind of like to go.  I've ridden through Glen Shiel several times on WIS trips, and it's an absolutely lovely place.  But after reading other peoples' accounts of hillwalking there, particularly the Five Sisters, I've decided that there is a very real possibility that this trip will kill me.

Lovely to look at.  Terrifying to hike across.

So I'm mostly likely not going to go.

However, thinking about all this today reminded me that I want to walk the Great Glen Way sometime this year, so today I set tentative dates to do it: May 17-25.  That's nine days: 1 day each to get to Fort William and back from Inverness, and seven to actually walk the thing.  Most of the resources I've seen break it into six stages, but I'm going to divide the final stage in two, because it's both the longest and the hardest.  The walk is 73 miles long in all, which averages out to about 10.5 miles per day if I do it over seven days.

I figure I need to do some training for this.  Luckily there are some long-ish walks nearby that I can do for practice.  The Water of Leith Walkway is about 12 miles long and runs from Balerno to the Leith Docks.  I walked the last mile or two of it, from Newhaven to the Leith Docks today, and it was fairly easy going and well signposted.  My original plan was to build it up a little at a time, adding a little more each time, but I think I'm just going to go ahead and attempt the whole thing this weekend on either Saturday or Sunday.

I'd also ideally like to do the Union Canal at some point before the Great Glen Way, to get some experience with multi-day trekking.  The Union Canal is 31.5 miles long and goes from Edinburgh to Falkirk.  I'd like to try to do this in 2-3 days, breaking the journey in Linlithgow, and perhaps Ratho as well.  If the Water of Leith goes well this weekend, I think I'll attempt the Canal next weekend, in lieu of going to Glen Shiel.  It's pretty much going to have to be next weekend, as I won't have another opportunity until early May.  April is going to be completely eaten up with writing papers and then family visiting.

On another note, I've decided I do want to do at least one more Munro this year.  But planning for that can wait.

Cheers, y'all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...