Sunday, July 9, 2017

Packing

T-minus five days until I leave for London.  In a serious departure from tradition, I am actually packing my bag several days in advance.  And I'm glad I am, because this is already turning into a comedy of errors.

To anyone reading this who is in the market for a sleeping bag: BUY IT IN PERSON.  Do not buy it online, sight unseen.  I bought one online, congratulating myself on the amazing price I got for it.  I opened the box today, and it is FAR too big and bulky.  Even in its stuff sack, it would take up the majority of the space in my backpack, and the dimensions are far too ludicrous to attach it to the top or bottom.  So now I have decisions to make: bite the bullet and go shopping for one at REI, wait until I get to London and go shopping at Cotswolds, or just attempt to do without a sleeping bag altogether.  The third option will mean committing to B&Bs and hostels and render my tent an emergency shelter...but really, I thought that might end up being the case anyway.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall my packing list as of right now:

Clothing:
- 4 tops (3 for walking in, 1 slightly nicer one for days off)
- 3 pairs of scrub bottoms
- 1 pair of jeans
- 3 sport bras
- 10 pairs of underwear
- 10 pairs of thick socks
- 10 pairs of thin socks, to be worn under the thick socks
- 1 pair of boots
- 1 pair of flip flops
- 1 hoodie
- 1 raincoat
- 1 beanie

Toiletries and medications:
- Shampoo
- Body wash
- Deodorant
- Anti-chafing gel
- Lip balm
- Bug repellant
- Hairbrush
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Eyeliner
- Towel
- Contact lenses
- Prescription medication
- OTC pain meds, for migraines as well as general aches and pains
- Blister bandages

Camping and navigational gear:
- Tent and accessory gear
- Maps
- Compass
- Trekking poles
- Headlamp
- Whistle
- Swiss Army knife

Electronics and entertainment:
- iPhone and charger
- iPod and charger
- Outlet adapter
- Journal and pen
- Book(s)*

The Really Important Stuff:
- Passport
- Cash and cards

*What to read that's going to last me the entire trip?  I know, I know, the obvious answer is to join the rest of the world in the 21st century and get an e-reader.  But I like actually holding books in my hands, dammit.  Right now I'm planning to bring all three books in Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh Princes trilogy and ship them home as I finish them.  They're reasonably dense and should last a while if I pace myself...we'll see.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...