Saturday, April 20, 2019

Another packing list!

I'm leaving for the airport in about 48 hours, which means it's time to start packing!

I'm working off of my packing list from my last trip, with some alterations.  I'm obviously not bothering with any camping equipment this time, but I am bringing both sunscreen and waterproof overtrousers, both of which I forgot last time and both of which I missed last time.  I usually hike in scrub bottoms and am planning to do so again, since they can take a beating and are reasonably quick-drying if they get wet, but an extra waterproof layer won't go amiss. 

I'm also not taking a towel this time.  I've made a point of taking a towel on every trip I've gone on since the first time I read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but on my last trip it just sat in the bottom of my rucksack and got damp and mildewy, so I'm not going to bother this time.  Sorry, Douglas Adams.

Finally, I invested in a raincover for my rucksack.  I've never used one before, since all the stuff I carry that could be hurt by getting wet is usually already in Ziploc bags.  But it felt right to get one for this trip.

Clothing:
- 4 tops (3 for walking in, 1 nicer one for days off)
- 3 pairs of scrub bottoms
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of waterproof overtrousers
- 3 sports bras
- 10 pairs of underwear
- 7 pairs of thick socks
- 7 pairs of thin socks, to be layered with the thick socks
- 1 pair of boots
- 1 pair of flip flops
- 1 pair of gaiters
- 1 hoodie
- 1 raincoat

Toiletries and medications:
- Shampoo
- Body wash
- Deodorant
- Lip balm
- Sunscreen
- Hairbrush
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Shaving razor
- Eyeliner
- Contact lenses
- Prescription medication
- OTC pain medication

Navigational gear, etc:
- Maps
- Compass
- Trekking poles
- Headlamp
- Whistle
- Swiss army knife
- Rucksack cover
- Passport
- Cash and cards

Electronics and entertainment:
- iPhone and charger
- Digital camera and charger
- Outlet adapter
- Journal and pen
- Book: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.  I've been meaning to read it for a while and it looks thick and dense enough to last me eight weeks if I pace myself.

Cheers, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outer Hebrides and the Hebridean Way

Monday 3 June 2019 Long day of travel - with a hangover - yesterday.  Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow (which was late of course), then a l...